Let’s be honest cleaning your house is never fun and is something we all like to put off. However it is especially hard if you suffer with any kind of mobility or disability or have issues with your joints.
Therefore we have put together some simple tips below to help.
- House cleaning tips begin with pacing yourself. Clean just one room a day as if you do everything in one day you will end up over exerting yourself.
- Focus on heavy-traffic areas first. You may need to vacuum only the hallway from the kitchen to the doorway to help spruce up the place
- Equip yourself properly. If squeezing a spray bottle or lifting a heavy bottle of washing powder is tough, look for easy-to-handle packaging. For scrubbing, simple cleaning tools, such as microfiber cloths and gloves remove dirt beautifully with just a little water and minimal muscle.
- Strategically store cleaning supplies. Stash a complete set of cleaning solutions and tools on each floor – including separate lightweight vacuum cleaners.
- Clean messes when they’re fresh. Waiting until a stain sets or clutter builds up ultimately results in more work.
- Let cleaning solutions work for you. Once you apply a cleaning solution, let it attack the grime for a few minutes, then come back to wipe up.
- Tip for tucking. When making your bed, use a wooden pizza paddle to help you tuck in sheets and blankets.
- Double duty. When cleaning house, give up that hard-to-grip dust rag. Instead, wear an old pair of gloves or socks on your hands for dusting.
- Correct Mobility Equipment. If you are in a wheelchair or have a walking aid then make sure that you have the right equipment especially for indoor use and good manoeuvrability to help when cleaning. Do take a look at our More Than Mobility range of mobility products and services.
- Get help. If you still struggle then it might be worth looking at getting some additional help for a few hours each week with cleaning the house and changing your bedsheets.
Here at More Than Mobility we have you in mind when it comes to cleaning the home as we have a section dedicated to essential daily living aids – do please take a look at our website for our full range of mobility products and services.
More Than Mobility Team