Spring time has officially begun and as the weather gets warmer you will probably be out and about more, so we recommend you have a mobility scooter health check so you don’t have any issues when you are out and about this spring/summer.
Your mobility scooter or electric wheelchair manual outlines the basic maintenance that your mobility scooter or powerchair requires. Like a car, your mobility equipment requires an annual service. The service will check the mechanical operation of the scooter as well as your batteries, and will ensure that everything is functioning as it should. Here are More Than Mobility our service engineers are fully manufacturer qualified so we can organise a service for you at a time of your convenience.
Some general tips on checking your mobility scooter or electric wheelchair:
- Wash off any dirt and dust
- Keep your mobility scooter as dry as possible – this will help prevent rust.
- In wet weather it’s a good idea to have protective covers for yourself and your mobility scooter to stay dry. Especially important for those April showers!
- Storage covers are handy for keeping the dust and rain off your mobility scooter whilst not in use. Mobility scooter stores have a more rigid frame and will stand up to being left out in strong conditions and have additional security features.
- Batteries need to be charged regularly to keep them working efficiently. Always adhere to the battery manufacturer’s guidelines; they typically recommend charging for between 8 and 10 hours at a time and even if you are not using your mobility product on a daily basis we recommend that you charge the batteries at least twice per week.
- Only use the charger that you have been supplied with your mobility scooter or powerchair. Using an incompatible battery charger is likely to be detrimental to battery life. If you need a new charger then let us know and we can get one sent out to you.
- During cold weather and when the mobility scooter is not in use, the batteries will gradually lose their charge and could decay if they are left in a discharged state.
- New mobility scooter and powerchair batteries start from as little as £55 per pair.
- All tyres will wear and tear, inspect them regularly to check they are still safe.
- It is recommended that you have your mobility scooter serviced by a qualified engineer every year, especially if it is used on the road.
- Many of the key working parts of a mobility scooter are hidden beneath the body shell and require specialist knowledge and tools to access.
- It is important to remember that a mobility scooter still has critical safety elements such as brakes which need to be checked. This is even more important on class 3 scooters that are used on the road at higher speeds.
Here at More Than Mobility; we repair and service all makes of mobility products both purchased or not purchased from us. Our nationwide chains of local engineers is on hand and are available to help with any repairs, services or new batteries that you require on your mobility products.
If you have any problems please give us a call on 0800 046 3949 and we can arrange for a local engineer to come to your home to repair it or give your product a service.
More Than Mobility Team